Sagarmitra Project by TAA (The Academic Advisors)
Sagarmitra Abhiyan is a ‘Used plastic recollection and recycling program’, founded by TAA, in 2011. In this project school children from grade 5th and above
- Understand with their HEAD that our use and throw habit threaten life in the Oceans 2. Are motivated from their HEART to act to save the fish and birds who die from plastics
- Work with personal and team HANDS to create the momentum of people’s movement
As of Dec 2016 in Pune alone, there are 310 schools and 1.5 lakh students, volunteers, who:
- Collect clean and dry empty used plastics, at home in the Sagarmitra plastic bags
- Fetch the collected used plastics, from home to schools, once in a month.
- The recollected clean dry and empty used plastic, is purchased and then sent for recycling to a recycling factory.
These students have saved more than 500 tons of used plastics from going in to ocean.
[continue reading in the document below]
Sagarmitra is the project Dr. Susan Raj has designed to change use and throw behaviour of humans .
Mr Vinod Bodhankar is the co-Founder of Sagarmitra who decided to dedicate full time for it and now he is heading the project in Pune. We can do it in any part of the world who wants to carry on the same concept to stop use and throw behavior of humans
Dr Susan Raj
Founder of The Academic Advisors Pune ; www.taaindia.org and
Kota Environmental Sanitation Society Kota Rajasthan